Sunday, February 13, 2011

Newest Novel Idea: Part 3

            I returned to my room to find Tamera still dreaming pleasantly.  I dropped my scriptures on the floor, a little too mercilessly, and then collapsed face first onto my bed.  I could feel my skirt riding up, and even though no one was around besides my unconscious roommate, it made me feel uncomfortable.
            I rummaged through my closet for a minute, trying to find something to change into, but then I gave up.  I pulled my PJs off the top of my hamper and slipped them on.  If I was going to be sulking, I would at least be comfortable.
            There was no real reason for me to feel so down on life, it was a conscious choice I made.  Some people wake up each morning, breath in the fresh air of a new day, stretch all their worries away.  Not me.  I wake up each morning thinking to myself why does morning have to come every single day?! I literally roll out of my bed and slink off to the bathroom.  I stare at myself in the mirror way longer than is required before I ever get out my make-up or hair supplies.  I just look into my eyes, trying to find the light that used to be there that is now gone.
            My attitude was a dimmer.  I closed the curtains on the windows to my soul.  I didn’t know if I really wanted anyone to see in.  I mean, I longed for romance, but I was afraid of friendship.  I guess I was kind of expecting love to just find me without much effort on my part.
            The light may have been dim, but it had always been there, until recently.  Somehow I couldn’t find it at all.  I’d just stare and stare thinking about what I’d done wrong and what I needed to do better.  But I couldn’t make myself change.  I wanted to change, but I didn’t believe I could, I guess.  My head was muddled.  My spirit was muddled.
            I’ve never been too good about daily prayer, personal scripture study, journal writing, etc.  I guess I’d been getting by on “borrowed light.”  But borrowed light was still light.  So what had happened to mine?
            I laid on my bed thinking about these things, once again.  I listened to Tamera’s steady heavy breathing, feeling slightly jealous that she could sleep in the middle of the day like that.  I’ve tried to, and usually about the time I drift off someone wakes me up to go to dinner.  I sat up; It was about dinner time now.  That’s what happens when Church doesn’t get out until 4 in the afternoon.
            “Tamera,” I said, loud enough to wake her, “Wanna go eat food?”
            “No.” She rolled over and pulled her lime green comforter over her head.
            I laid back down and stared at the MormonAds across the room.  I had put them up, perhaps to remind me to be better than I naturally am.  They weren’t working.  Or more aptly, I wasn’t working.  One of the posters taunted me to “rise above the blues.”  I ignored it and pulled out a box of cereal.  I didn’t feel like walking across campus again in this February weather.
            I’d prayed to God one hundred times to help me change, to help me become happier.  But had I really done my part?  Is happiness something you have to work at, or is it something some people just naturally have?  I wasn’t sure, but I was going to make the 101st prayer count.  Tomorrow I was going to get out of my room.  I didn’t know where I would go, but sitting in front of a laptop watching chick flicks and crime shows was getting me nowhere. 
Go Back

Go to Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean. I like receiving advice on my writing, but don't usually take it. Don't be offended.