Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Investigators—Chapter 5

This work is copyright Amanda Mayne November 2011.

Craig's slumber was cut short when Aaron called him at 9am.

"It's too early!" He half-yelled into the receiver of his cell-phone.

"I thought you've been up like 4 hours already?"

"I stayed up all night. I've only been in bed four hours."

"Oh, well I just wanted you to know that the Penshaws left a message on the machine at work. Oh and I'm sitting here without you and I'm bored!!"

"The one day you show up to work on time and I'm not there to see it. Give me two hours and I'll come over."

"Ok . . . if you're sure."

"What did the Penshaw's want?"

"They just wanted to see if you've found any leads. Should I call them back and tell them we found the girl and the kidnapper and that we're going to turn them in?"

"No!" Craig shouted, then he straightened, "I mean, not yet. I'm not sure if I quite trust the Penshaws."

"They had their little girl taken away from them, I can't imagine what that would feel like."

"I can."

"Oh, yeah. Sorry, Craig."

"I just have a feeling about them. I just want to make sure that we're getting the whole story before we show them all our cards. Need I remind you they haven't paid us yet. If they paid us I'd feel guilty about with-holding this kind of information. I'll call them, I'll tell them we have a lead, but that's it. I won't tell them that I know what Amelia is going by now or that we've even been to their house."

"Ok, I think you're overreacting, but you're the boss."

They disconnected the call and Craig rolled back over to continue his rest. But he couldn't fall back to sleep.

To Previous Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean. I like receiving advice on my writing, but don't usually take it. Don't be offended.