Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Investigators—Prologue

This work is copyright Amanda Mayne November 2011.

"Hey, boss," Vincent Palmer shouted as he burst through the doors of the small office. "You can't be mad at me anymore."

"Oh," said his boss hardly glancing up from the spreadsheet he was studying, "and why's that?"

"I found her!"

The boss set his documents down and gave Vincent a hard look.

"Found who, Vincent?" As he said it, his eyes lit up as if he were hoping he already knew the answer. Vincent saw this and used the moment of anticipation to slip in a joke.

"The Easter bunny."

His boss did not appreciate the humor, his eyes looked about to shoot white hot flames. Vincent swallowed and continued.

"Oh, you know, I found Amelia."

The boss jumped up from his chair and beckoned his wife, who was waiting at the door, to come in.

"Honey, Vincent said he found Amelia!"

His wife grinned a deep grin that made it seem as though her whole small frame were smiling as well. She winked at Vincent.

"I'm always proud of my Vincent." She smirked.

The boss stepped toward Vincent and looked directly into his eyes, grabbing either side of his face to maintain it. "How did you manage it?"

Vincent held his bosses gaze and began, "Well, you know that joint account Amelia and I set up with our wedding money after our honeymoon-- thank you again, by the way, for that generous gift-- anyway, you know how I was supposed to close it after she left? I didn't."

"Shame, Vincent." The Mrs. Boss interjected.

"But that's how I found her. After all these years, she used the account! She withdrew about $2000 from a branch in Colorado!"

To Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean. I like receiving advice on my writing, but don't usually take it. Don't be offended.